1. Telluride, Colo. Built in the late 19th century, this five-bedroom transformed barn is located in Gray Head Wilderness Preserve. The interior of the home features 35-foot vaulted ceilings, a gourmet kitchen, and a double-sided fireplace. Additional property details include a spring-fed pond, a waterfall, and caretakers’ quarters. $7,100,000. Steve Catsman, Telluride Real Estate/Christie’s International Real Estate, (970) 728-6629
2. Missoula, Mont. This three-bedroom house is located within 10 minutes of Snow Bowl ski area for downhill skiing and Pattee Canyon for cross-country skiing. The Ranch Club resort community home features three fireplaces, a theater room, and a lower level with a wine cellar. Located near ice fishing at Flathead Lake and hundreds of snowmobile trails. $1,700,000. Jason Suchecki, Windermere Real Estate/Missoula, (406) 541-6550
3. Whitefish, Mont. This four-bedroom house boasts views of Glacier National Park and Whitefish Lake. The ski-in/ski-out home features a copper roof, Venetian plaster walls, Belgian bluestone floors, and radiant floor heating. A stone wine cellar is carved out of the mountainside. $2,695,000. Sean Averill, Trails West Real Estate/Christie’s International Real Estate, (406) 862-4900
4. Homewood, Calif. This four-bedroom chalet-style cabin is located on the west shore of Lake Tahoe, backing the Homewood Mountain Ski Resort. The 1970 A-frame home has a front entertainment deck and rear access to open forest. Additional details include a freestanding woodstove and knotty-pine wood interior. $599,000. Michael Oliver and Darin Vicknair, Oliver Luxury Real Estate, (530) 525-5100
5. Hailey, Idaho Located next to Bigwood River, this three-bedroom house was featured on the cover of The American Log Home Book. The house was recently restored, including the logs, the roof, and the kitchen. Set on almost 2 acres, the home is located close to Hailey and Sun Valley ski areas as well as snowshoeing and hiking trails. $1,250,000. Katherine Rixon & Rob Cronin, Sun Valley Brokers LLC, (208) 720-4958
Steal of the week
6. Ohio, N.Y. Located on 126 acres in the Adirondacks, WoodSong is a two-bedroom, solar-powered retreat. Interior details include cherry mantels and a soapstone woodstove. The home has 3,000 feet of creek frontage for ice fishing and is connected to miles of snowmobile trails. $379,900. Mike Franklin, Sotheby’s International Realty, (315) 876-2262
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week