Above, a transgender young woman documents her transition from male-to-female in 1,000 time-lapsed photos taken over a three-year period. According to her YouTube description, the unnamed uploader says the process began in her early twenties. "The cliché is that you're a woman trapped in a man's body, but it's not that simple," Laura June Grace, the transgender frontwoman of the punk band Against Me!, told Rolling Stone last year. "It's a feeling of detachment from your body and from yourself. And it's shitty, man." Born Thomas Gabel, Grace shocked the music world in 2012 when she publicly revealed plans to become a woman after fronting the band as a male for years. "This video makes me happy," says Jason Kottke at his blog. "What a boon for those who struggle with their gender to be able to see other people who are going through and have gone through similar situations." (Via Kottke.org)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week