Above, a transgender young woman documents her transition from male-to-female in 1,000 time-lapsed photos taken over a three-year period. According to her YouTube description, the unnamed uploader says the process began in her early twenties. "The cliché is that you're a woman trapped in a man's body, but it's not that simple," Laura June Grace, the transgender frontwoman of the punk band Against Me!, told Rolling Stone last year. "It's a feeling of detachment from your body and from yourself. And it's shitty, man." Born Thomas Gabel, Grace shocked the music world in 2012 when she publicly revealed plans to become a woman after fronting the band as a male for years. "This video makes me happy," says Jason Kottke at his blog. "What a boon for those who struggle with their gender to be able to see other people who are going through and have gone through similar situations." (Via Kottke.org)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week