Above, a transgender young woman documents her transition from male-to-female in 1,000 time-lapsed photos taken over a three-year period. According to her YouTube description, the unnamed uploader says the process began in her early twenties. "The cliché is that you're a woman trapped in a man's body, but it's not that simple," Laura June Grace, the transgender frontwoman of the punk band Against Me!, told Rolling Stone last year. "It's a feeling of detachment from your body and from yourself. And it's shitty, man." Born Thomas Gabel, Grace shocked the music world in 2012 when she publicly revealed plans to become a woman after fronting the band as a male for years. "This video makes me happy," says Jason Kottke at his blog. "What a boon for those who struggle with their gender to be able to see other people who are going through and have gone through similar situations." (Via Kottke.org)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week