Above, a transgender young woman documents her transition from male-to-female in 1,000 time-lapsed photos taken over a three-year period. According to her YouTube description, the unnamed uploader says the process began in her early twenties. "The cliché is that you're a woman trapped in a man's body, but it's not that simple," Laura June Grace, the transgender frontwoman of the punk band Against Me!, told Rolling Stone last year. "It's a feeling of detachment from your body and from yourself. And it's shitty, man." Born Thomas Gabel, Grace shocked the music world in 2012 when she publicly revealed plans to become a woman after fronting the band as a male for years. "This video makes me happy," says Jason Kottke at his blog. "What a boon for those who struggle with their gender to be able to see other people who are going through and have gone through similar situations." (Via Kottke.org)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
Subscribe to the Week