Above, a transgender young woman documents her transition from male-to-female in 1,000 time-lapsed photos taken over a three-year period. According to her YouTube description, the unnamed uploader says the process began in her early twenties. "The cliché is that you're a woman trapped in a man's body, but it's not that simple," Laura June Grace, the transgender frontwoman of the punk band Against Me!, told Rolling Stone last year. "It's a feeling of detachment from your body and from yourself. And it's shitty, man." Born Thomas Gabel, Grace shocked the music world in 2012 when she publicly revealed plans to become a woman after fronting the band as a male for years. "This video makes me happy," says Jason Kottke at his blog. "What a boon for those who struggle with their gender to be able to see other people who are going through and have gone through similar situations." (Via Kottke.org)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week