Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: The average office worker spends 650 hours a year reading and writing 41,400 words’ worth of emails, equivalent to a novel 166 pages long. Please send us the title of your novel-in-emails.
THE WINNER: Much Ado About Nothing
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
SECOND PLACE: The Old Man and the CC
Craig Hodges, Dover, N.H.
THIRD PLACE: The Neverending Story
Steve Curfman, Charlotte, N.C.
1984 Unread Messages
Tracy Solum, San Francisco
The Lord of the Pings
Kim Hemphill, South Riding, Va.
Sent From My iPad
Hilary Cooper, Ladera Ranch, Calif.
What I Did at Work When I Wasn't on Facebook
Sean Gladding, Lexington, Ky.
The Pickwick Emails
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
To Key a Mocking Word
Elizabeth Bricking, Louisville
Of Mouse and Man
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, Mich.
The Work-Life Balance, Unbalanced
Brent Reed, Louisville
Text and the City
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
My Deleted Life
Mike Boskovic, Glen Ellyn, Ill.
Doctor Strangemail: How I Learned to Stop Forwarding and Love the BCC
Joe Valetti, San Leandro, Calif.
Words Without Friends
Cindy Kalinoski, York Pa.
Cry, the Beloved Cubicle
Eric E. Wallace, Eagle, Idaho
James Smith, Mill Valley, Calif.
The Lord of Replies
Matt Gough, Sunnyvale, Calif.
In Search of Lost Time
Don Jagust, Berkeley, Calif.
As I Lay Typing
John Malatesta, New York City
Tom Bohnen, Zenia, Calif.
From Here to e-Ternity
Julio Suarez, Plano, Texas
Eat Pray Delete
Ann Parsons, San Antonio
Sex, Lies, and Attachments
Anne Marie Dominguez, Plymouth, Minn.
You’ve Got Mail...and Carpal Tunnel
Arlene Kavanagh, Providence, R.I.
War and Peace and Daily Trivia
Peter Bowen, Marblehead, Mass.
This Novel Has Been Marked as Spam
Gil Rognstad, Cynthiana, Ky.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The NFL is terrified of the culture war
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week