Hey, guys: Remember the '90s? Microsoft does. And it's tapping into the formative years of current twenty-somethings for a brand new Internet Explorer ad called — wait for it — "Child of the '90s." The clip resurrects pogs, Lisa Frank folders, Reebok Pumps, Oregon Trail, and 56k modems (without the screeching) to burrow its way into your heart's warm nostalgia centers. "We thought it was time to invite those of you who haven't thought about Internet Explorer in a while to take a trip down memory lane," says director of IE marketing Roger Capriotti in a blog post. "Internet Explorer is a child of the '90s, but we have done some serious growing up."
"We must admit," says Chris Burns at Slashgear, the ad does "strike more than one chord in the nostalgic banjoes in our heads, and like any good Super Bowl commercial, only gets to the product in the last few seconds of the video." Whether you hate IE or love it, you will probably "enjoy this advertisement thoroughly." I dunno, says Jared Newman at PC World. "The ads are cute… but eventually Microsoft might want to tell the world why Internet Explorer is better than the competition."
I think the ad itself is kind of hollow, like some weird lovechild of BuzzFeed and Thought Catalog, but without the occasional wink that says, Yeah. We're laying it on thick here and we know it.
But what have you, sentimentalists? Is anyone considering ditching Chrome or Safari for IE 10?
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- Could the Cleveland kidnapping victims have been rescued sooner?
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- 10 things you need to know today: May 23, 2013
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- Hollywood blockbusters should kill off some of their main characters
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee