When the incredibly fit, world-class athletes on the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers face off in Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday, tens of millions of Americans will be busy stuffing their faces with a rather disgusting amount of food. How much food? Some 30 million pounds of snacks, for starters. Still hungry? Read on:
Estimated calories the average viewer will consume on Sunday
Estimated pounds of potato chips Americans will consume during the Super Bowl
Pounds of tortilla chips
Pounds of pretzels
Pounds of popcorn
Pounds of nuts
Cases of beer that Super Bowl viewers will drink
Percent of that beer that will be Bud Light, Bud, Coors Light, Miller Light, or Natural Light
Chicken wings that will be consumed
Slices of pizza expected to be consumed from just Pizza Hut and Dominos
Pounds of avocados
Increase in antacid sales the Monday after the Super Bowl
People who typically call in sick the Monday after the Super Bowl, many of them surely from food-and-drink hangovers
Football fields you'd have to run to burn off the calories of just two handfuls of potato chips
Times the Super Bowl crowd would have to do the wave to each burn off six buffalo wings dipped in ranch
American event that actually surpasses the Super Bowl in terms of food consumption — Thanksgiving.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week