The trailer: Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines: Fast & Furious 6 is on its way, and the gleefully ridiculous, action-packed extended trailer released on Tuesday is the best glimpse at the upcoming blockbuster yet. (Watch the Fast & Furious 6 trailer below.) While the action flick was teased in a commercial spot during the Super Bowl, today's extended trailer, which clocks in at a massive 3:22, offers a much clearer glimpse at the upcoming film. Fast & Furious 6 picks up shortly after the events of Fast Five, when series protagonist Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his crew retired after a $100 million heist in Rio. The new movie reassembles Fast Five's massive supporting cast, which includes Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. The trailer also introduces some faces who weren't in the franchise's last entry: New villain Luke Evans, MMA fighter and Haywire star Gina Carano, and Michelle Rodriguez, making her return to the Fast & Furious franchise — even though her character was killed off in the series' fourth installment. Here, the bombastic extended trailer:
The reaction: The preview that aired during the Super Bowl on Sunday was "just the tip of the iceberg," says Sandy Schaefer at ScreenRant, as this new trailer reveals even more "elaborate stunts, outlandish vehicular set pieces, and adrenaline-fueled cinematic kinetics." From this ludicrously over-the-top clip, it's clear that the franchise has moved "a long ways away from those simple days in which an undercover cop infiltrated an LA street racing crew on the suspicion that they were, in fact, highway robbers," says Jordan DeSaulnier at IAmRogue. Yes, the story has gotten awfully labyrinthine — but "who is really watching the sixth entry in a car racing franchise for its intricate plot machinations?" asks Peter Hall at Movies.com. The Fast & Furious franchise is "all about the characters, the locations, and the vehicles, and returning director Justin Lin looks to have dialed everything to 11 for this one."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week