Remember during the summer Olympics when it became a "thing" for athletes and fans to sport their national pride on their nails? It was, for the most part, adorable. But when you actually give nail art its own competition, the result can be far from cute, if not downright frightening. Thanks to The Associated Press, we have a behind-the-scenes look at something called the Nail Olympics, which takes place this week in Rome. The competition is, perhaps shockingly, in its 12th year, having started in Las Vegas in 2001. A jury of eight people from Japan, the U.S., Korea, Italy, Sweden, and the Czech Republic hold the fate of the 220 competitors in their hands. Out of this uniquely talented group, only a few will emerge victorious within the seven specialties, including the "stiletto" category, which features painted nails shaved down to impossibly sharp points that would make Freddy Krueger squeal. Still intrigued? Read on (if you dare):
The wicked witch stiletto: A model shows off her talons painted in a green ombré, which helps them achieve that unique skin-crawling style. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
Under the sea: A competitor attaches one of the final touches to her masterpiece that appears to include all of Ariel's friends as well as half of PetSmart's aquarium offerings. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
Accessories of a geisha: A model shows off a Japanese-inspired look created by competitor Carmen Gamero from Spain. Not only is the model wearing a geisha-like costume, but each of her nails is also home to a freestanding plastic figurine. Let's hope the poor woman doesn't have to use the restroom. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
Psychedelic: Another stiletto competitor puts the finishing touches on these two-inch rave-party beauties. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week