ormer Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner plans to write a book about his time in government, with a focus on "how to fight global financial crises," according to Zachary Goldfarb at The Washington Post. Geithner was at the front line of the government's response to the financial crisis, first as the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York under President Bush, then as head of the Treasury under President Obama. His legacy has been hotly debated, with some crediting Geithner with rescuing the financial system, and others accusing him of coddling the big banks. And nowhere was that divide so succinctly reflected, with some snark thrown into the mix, than on Twitter today, as analysts and journalists suggested book titles under the hashtag #Geithnerbooktitles. Here, some of the best:
Portrait of the TARPist as a Young Man #geithnerbooktitles— NickBaumann (@NickBaumann) February 6, 2013
The AIG of Innocence #geithnerbooktitles— Jim Aley (@jimaley) February 6, 2013
No Country for Old Mortgages #geithnerbooktitles— Michael Roston (@michaelroston) February 6, 2013
The World According to TARP #geithnerbooktitles— Ben White (@morningmoneyben) February 6, 2013
Too Big To Fail AND ZOMBIES #geithnerbooktitles— John Carney (@carney) February 6, 2013
Crime and No Punishment #geithnerbooktitles— Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) February 6, 2013
A Tale of Two Citis #GeithnerBookTitles— Stefan Becket (@stefanjbecket) February 6, 2013
The Stock Market Corrections #geithnerbooktitles— Paul R. La Monica (@LaMonicaBuzz) February 6, 2013
Honorary mention: Charles Gasparino at Fox Business Network, for going on an alternately hilarious and ridiculous anti-Geithner rant:
#Geithnerbooktitles: how i wasted 4 years of my life; whats its like to take orders from a community activist; why didnt i go to law school— Charles Gasparino (@CGasparino) February 6, 2013
#geithnerbooktitles 50 shades of Vomit; how to foolreporters to think high unemployment is great and get ur guy re elected— Charles Gasparino (@CGasparino) February 6, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week