Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Scientists estimate that workers showing up after a bad night’s sleep — known as "presenteeism" — may cost U.S. companies $63 billion a year in lost productivity. Please create the name of another condition that may cost companies money even when workers do show up.
THE WINNER: Social Notworking
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
SECOND PLACE: Irritable Boss Syndrome
BJ Fogg, Stanford, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Emailaise
Scot Lee, Mountain View, Calif.
Pension Deficit Disorder
Jessica Urriola, Randolph, N.J.
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
Angry Bird Flu
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
MGS: Multiple Gadget Syndrome
Marsha Einhorn, New York City
Twitter Thumb Syndrome
Ryan Redfield, St. Cloud, Minn.
Kevin Gallagher, New York City
Bill Horst, Newtown Square, Pa.
Low Interest Rate
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Social Media Anxiety Disorder
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Wendi Friedman Tush, New York City
Scott “Tom” Dennis, Avalon, Calif.
Trula M. LaCalle, Sebastopol, Calif.
Richard N. Oberg, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Bill Kennard, Winston-Salem, N.C.
IDHD (IPod-Diminished Hearing Disorder)
Cindy Kalinoski, York, Pa.
Robert Steele, Hickory, N.C.
Cheryl Old, San Diego
Lorene Boisvert, Santa Monica, Calif.
Post-Romantic Stress Disorder
John Malatesta, New York City
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Bob O’Connor, Charlottesville, Va.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week