Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Scientists estimate that workers showing up after a bad night’s sleep — known as "presenteeism" — may cost U.S. companies $63 billion a year in lost productivity. Please create the name of another condition that may cost companies money even when workers do show up.
THE WINNER: Social Notworking
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
SECOND PLACE: Irritable Boss Syndrome
BJ Fogg, Stanford, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Emailaise
Scot Lee, Mountain View, Calif.
Pension Deficit Disorder
Jessica Urriola, Randolph, N.J.
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
Angry Bird Flu
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
MGS: Multiple Gadget Syndrome
Marsha Einhorn, New York City
Twitter Thumb Syndrome
Ryan Redfield, St. Cloud, Minn.
Kevin Gallagher, New York City
Bill Horst, Newtown Square, Pa.
Low Interest Rate
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Social Media Anxiety Disorder
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Wendi Friedman Tush, New York City
Scott “Tom” Dennis, Avalon, Calif.
Trula M. LaCalle, Sebastopol, Calif.
Richard N. Oberg, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Bill Kennard, Winston-Salem, N.C.
IDHD (IPod-Diminished Hearing Disorder)
Cindy Kalinoski, York, Pa.
Robert Steele, Hickory, N.C.
Cheryl Old, San Diego
Lorene Boisvert, Santa Monica, Calif.
Post-Romantic Stress Disorder
John Malatesta, New York City
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Bob O’Connor, Charlottesville, Va.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week