elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Scientists estimate that workers showing up after a bad night’s sleep — known as "presenteeism" — may cost U.S. companies $63 billion a year in lost productivity. Please create the name of another condition that may cost companies money even when workers do show up.
THE WINNER: Social Notworking
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
SECOND PLACE: Irritable Boss Syndrome
BJ Fogg, Stanford, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Emailaise
Scot Lee, Mountain View, Calif.
Pension Deficit Disorder
Jessica Urriola, Randolph, N.J.
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
Angry Bird Flu
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
MGS: Multiple Gadget Syndrome
Marsha Einhorn, New York City
Twitter Thumb Syndrome
Ryan Redfield, St. Cloud, Minn.
Kevin Gallagher, New York City
Bill Horst, Newtown Square, Pa.
Low Interest Rate
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Social Media Anxiety Disorder
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Wendi Friedman Tush, New York City
Scott “Tom” Dennis, Avalon, Calif.
Trula M. LaCalle, Sebastopol, Calif.
Richard N. Oberg, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Bill Kennard, Winston-Salem, N.C.
IDHD (IPod-Diminished Hearing Disorder)
Cindy Kalinoski, York, Pa.
Robert Steele, Hickory, N.C.
Cheryl Old, San Diego
Lorene Boisvert, Santa Monica, Calif.
Post-Romantic Stress Disorder
John Malatesta, New York City
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Bob O’Connor, Charlottesville, Va.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week