Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: Scientists estimate that workers showing up after a bad night’s sleep — known as "presenteeism" — may cost U.S. companies $63 billion a year in lost productivity. Please create the name of another condition that may cost companies money even when workers do show up.
THE WINNER: Social Notworking
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
SECOND PLACE: Irritable Boss Syndrome
BJ Fogg, Stanford, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Emailaise
Scot Lee, Mountain View, Calif.
Pension Deficit Disorder
Jessica Urriola, Randolph, N.J.
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
Angry Bird Flu
Paul Witte, New Hope, Pa.
MGS: Multiple Gadget Syndrome
Marsha Einhorn, New York City
Twitter Thumb Syndrome
Ryan Redfield, St. Cloud, Minn.
Kevin Gallagher, New York City
Bill Horst, Newtown Square, Pa.
Low Interest Rate
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Social Media Anxiety Disorder
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Wendi Friedman Tush, New York City
Scott “Tom” Dennis, Avalon, Calif.
Trula M. LaCalle, Sebastopol, Calif.
Richard N. Oberg, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Bill Kennard, Winston-Salem, N.C.
IDHD (IPod-Diminished Hearing Disorder)
Cindy Kalinoski, York, Pa.
Robert Steele, Hickory, N.C.
Cheryl Old, San Diego
Lorene Boisvert, Santa Monica, Calif.
Post-Romantic Stress Disorder
John Malatesta, New York City
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Bob O’Connor, Charlottesville, Va.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week