A hacker, known by the pseudonym Guccifer, hacked into the email accounts of several members of the Bush family, including President George W. Bush's sister, and published a cache of private emails and photographs online. The Secret Service says it has opened an investigation into the matter.
The emails reveal that the Bushes were highly concerned about the health of George H.W. Bush, who was recently released from the hospital following a week of intensive care. Indeed, George W. Bush in December sent an email to family members to collect anecdotes and "acts of kindness" that he could use to compose a eulogy. One of the released photos showed the elder Bush in the hospital.
One email, forwarded by White House adviser Valerie Jarrett, contained a personal message from President Obama, who wrote, "Michelle and I haven't wanted to impinge on you while you are recuperating, but please know that we are thinking of you and the entire family." The emails also show a surprising closeness between the elder Bush and his successor and former rival, Bill Clinton, who is referred to by the family as Bubba. One photo shows Clinton with George H.W. Bush at the family's house in Kennebunkport, Maine.
The hacker also published George W. Bush's address in Texas, as well as the four-digit code needed to access his compound.
The most intriguing images, which have been the subject of some easy mockery, are of painted self-portraits done by George W. Bush, including one of him in the shower and one of him in the bath, both utterly safe for work.
The Smoking Gun, which has been in contact Guccifer, reports that the hacker is unconcerned about being caught. "I have an old game with the f---ing bastards inside, this is just another chapter in the game," Guccifer told the site.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Can the U.S. Army degrade and destroy Ebola?
Subscribe to the Week