inter storm Nemo is bearing down on the East Coast. Blizzard warnings have been put into effect from Maine to New Jersey, and Nemo is expected to dump up to 3 feet of snow on the New England area. And while this potentially historic blizzard keeps you huddled indoors, have a look back at some monumental snowstorms of the past. From London to New York City, here are 13 historic images of man vs. winter.
1927: Men work to dig out a buried locomotive snow plow in Amesbury, Wiltshire, England. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
1939: A French soldier carries a Spanish refugee's luggage down a mountain pass. (Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
1940: During one of the worst blizzards in New England history, the heart of Boston's shopping district is shut down. (AP Photo/Abe Fox)
1947: Two men dig out a car after a record-breaking snowfall of 26.4 inches in New York City. (AP Photo)
1950: Webster Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh is buried under snow. (AP Photo/Walter Stein)
1963: Policemen and ambulance-men attend football a game during a blizzard in London. (Fox Photos/Getty Images)
1963: A worker at the Whipsnade Zoo feeds sheep and cattle during a blizzard in Bedfordshire, England. (William Vanderson/Fox Photos/Getty Images)
1965: A family braves a storm in London as they pass by St. Paul's Cathedral. (Evening Standard/Getty Images)
1978: A woman carrying an umbrella makes her way down a deserted highway in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Rusty Kennedy)
1978: A hot dog vendor try to keep warm during a snowstorm in New York City. (AP Photo)
1979: A man drives a small snowplow down a normally crowded Hamburg Street in Germany. (AP Photo/Helmut Lohmann)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week