A small quiz, or quiz-ling, to start the week.
1. On Tuesday, President Obama will tell Congress that the state of our union is:
(a) Strong. As strong as a master of a Thigh-master.
(b) Strong. Not red hot-sauce strong, but strong enough.
(d) Pretty much whatever speechwriter Jon Favreau feels like it ought to be. Probably: optimistic, since Favreau is going to Hollywood.
2. The sequester:
(a) Will turn out to be the worst double-bluff ever, with Republican leaders unable to muster any support for any deal that contains revenue, and the White House credulously assuming that Republicans aren't willing to actually call their, uh, bluff.
(b) A fan of a non-very-well-made NBC science fiction drama in the 90s.
(c) Is a word that only juries used to learn.
3. Chuck Hagel's confirmation as defense secretary is:
(a) All but assured, assuming that there is no outstanding paperwork issue.
(b) On indefinite TDY.
(c) Proof to conservatives that conservatives have a better sense of humor than the writers for Saturday Night Live.
4. Conservative radio host Mark Levin is on a tear about:
(a) Karl Rove.
(b) The former senior adviser for Crossroads GPS.
(c) Former White House aides "who were never conservative to begin with."
(d) The occasional incompetence of his producer.
5. The U.S. Army Skills and Evaluation Detachment is:
(a) An organization whose benign title belies its fascinating purpose.
(b) Very hard to find in a telephone directory.
(c) The guardians of the military's most secretive, most desirable, most interesting special mission unit.
(d) Recruiting now!
(e) All of the above.
6. This week, the following two entities will merge:
(a) Upscale cosmetics brand Jack Black and downscale but highly-acclaimed actor Jack Black.
(b) Outrage and opportunism, somewhere in Washington.
(c) Presidential speculation and Marco Rubio.
(d) American Airlines and US Airways.
The answers: well, subscribe to The Week to find out what happened during the week that was.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week