Comedian and actor Zach Galifianakis has skewered the traditionally vapid world of celebrity talk shows with "Between Two Ferns," a Funny or Die video series in which he insults and harasses his celebrity guests — and after five years, he's finally set his sights on the Academy Awards. Indeed, the series' latest two-part installment features takes aim at a number of this year's Academy Award nominees. (Watch "Between Two Ferns: Oscar Buzz Edition" below.)
In previous installments of "Between Two Ferns," Galifianakis has taken on celebrities like Jon Hamm ("Is your middle name 'Honey-Baked'?") and Ben Stiller ("Do you ever wish you had followed your parents into comedy?") — and though the celebrities are in on the joke, Galifianakis insists that the show operates without any scripts or advanced planning. "They sit down, they agree to come. There is no discussion beforehand," he said in a 2010 interview at ABC News. "It just happens, no real prep, no organization whatsoever." How did a series of this year's Oscar nominees — including Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Sally Field (Lincoln), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook), Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained), Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables), and Amy Adams (The Master) — hold up under Galifianakis' deflating interview style? See for yourself in the two-part "Oscar Buzz" installment of "Between Two Ferns":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week