omedian and actor Zach Galifianakis has skewered the traditionally vapid world of celebrity talk shows with "Between Two Ferns," a Funny or Die video series in which he insults and harasses his celebrity guests — and after five years, he's finally set his sights on the Academy Awards. Indeed, the series' latest two-part installment features takes aim at a number of this year's Academy Award nominees. (Watch "Between Two Ferns: Oscar Buzz Edition" below.)
In previous installments of "Between Two Ferns," Galifianakis has taken on celebrities like Jon Hamm ("Is your middle name 'Honey-Baked'?") and Ben Stiller ("Do you ever wish you had followed your parents into comedy?") — and though the celebrities are in on the joke, Galifianakis insists that the show operates without any scripts or advanced planning. "They sit down, they agree to come. There is no discussion beforehand," he said in a 2010 interview at ABC News. "It just happens, no real prep, no organization whatsoever." How did a series of this year's Oscar nominees — including Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Sally Field (Lincoln), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook), Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained), Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables), and Amy Adams (The Master) — hold up under Galifianakis' deflating interview style? See for yourself in the two-part "Oscar Buzz" installment of "Between Two Ferns":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- When will the Big One strike California?
Subscribe to the Week