It takes a lot of hard work to look this good. And with more than 2,700 dogs competing in the 137th annual Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York City this week, the pressure is on for both the hounds and the handlers. Canines representing 187 breeds —including two new breeds, the Russell Terrier and the Treening Walker Coonhound — will compete for the coveted title of Best in Show. (Our money is on the Standard Poodle). And in pursuit of the top prize, handlers work hard to make sure their pride and joy is primped to perfection. Take a peek behind the scenes at this year's Westminster dog show.
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Teddy gets brushed and dried backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A beagle named Runner has his paws washed in the benching area. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
An Afghan Hound named Rider is blow dried before competing. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
A woman carts her English Bulldog toward the judging area. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
An Afghan Hound named Chino is given a drink of water by her handler. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
Angela, a Toy Poodle, is prepped before her competition. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Two handlers wait in the benching area. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Seven-year-old Ava Goldberg pets her pal Teddy backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A Chinese Crested named Vinny gets his ears all done up. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
A Bichon Frise waits patiently to be groomed. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
A Norwegian Buhund rests with his owner after a long day at the dog show. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week