It takes a lot of hard work to look this good. And with more than 2,700 dogs competing in the 137th annual Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York City this week, the pressure is on for both the hounds and the handlers. Canines representing 187 breeds —including two new breeds, the Russell Terrier and the Treening Walker Coonhound — will compete for the coveted title of Best in Show. (Our money is on the Standard Poodle). And in pursuit of the top prize, handlers work hard to make sure their pride and joy is primped to perfection. Take a peek behind the scenes at this year's Westminster dog show.
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Teddy gets brushed and dried backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A beagle named Runner has his paws washed in the benching area. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
An Afghan Hound named Rider is blow dried before competing. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
A woman carts her English Bulldog toward the judging area. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
An Afghan Hound named Chino is given a drink of water by her handler. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
Angela, a Toy Poodle, is prepped before her competition. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Two handlers wait in the benching area. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Seven-year-old Ava Goldberg pets her pal Teddy backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A Chinese Crested named Vinny gets his ears all done up. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
A Bichon Frise waits patiently to be groomed. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
A Norwegian Buhund rests with his owner after a long day at the dog show. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week