It takes a lot of hard work to look this good. And with more than 2,700 dogs competing in the 137th annual Westminster Kennel Club dog show in New York City this week, the pressure is on for both the hounds and the handlers. Canines representing 187 breeds —including two new breeds, the Russell Terrier and the Treening Walker Coonhound — will compete for the coveted title of Best in Show. (Our money is on the Standard Poodle). And in pursuit of the top prize, handlers work hard to make sure their pride and joy is primped to perfection. Take a peek behind the scenes at this year's Westminster dog show.
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Teddy gets brushed and dried backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A beagle named Runner has his paws washed in the benching area. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
An Afghan Hound named Rider is blow dried before competing. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
A woman carts her English Bulldog toward the judging area. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
An Afghan Hound named Chino is given a drink of water by her handler. (REUTERS/Mike Segar)
Angela, a Toy Poodle, is prepped before her competition. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Two handlers wait in the benching area. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Seven-year-old Ava Goldberg pets her pal Teddy backstage. (John Moore/Getty Images)
A Chinese Crested named Vinny gets his ears all done up. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
A Bichon Frise waits patiently to be groomed. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
A Norwegian Buhund rests with his owner after a long day at the dog show. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Week