It's not always easy to be single on Valentine's Day. All the restaurants are suddenly prix fixe and full of couples, all the candy is suddenly heart-shaped, and all the movie theaters are packed with lame romance movies. (Hi, Safe Haven!)
So for anyone who needs a cinematic reminder that relationships aren't all red roses and boxes of chocolates, check out MovieClips' "Anti-Valentine's Day Mash-up." Though Hollywood has dealt in both romantic comedies and romantic dramas for decades, the film industry has produced an equally rich canon of breakup movies, from Oscar-winning classics like Annie Hall and Kramer vs. Kramer to newer entries like High Fidelity and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So if you're feeling blue this Valentine's Day, take heart — you're in good company.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week