It's not always easy to be single on Valentine's Day. All the restaurants are suddenly prix fixe and full of couples, all the candy is suddenly heart-shaped, and all the movie theaters are packed with lame romance movies. (Hi, Safe Haven!)
So for anyone who needs a cinematic reminder that relationships aren't all red roses and boxes of chocolates, check out MovieClips' "Anti-Valentine's Day Mash-up." Though Hollywood has dealt in both romantic comedies and romantic dramas for decades, the film industry has produced an equally rich canon of breakup movies, from Oscar-winning classics like Annie Hall and Kramer vs. Kramer to newer entries like High Fidelity and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So if you're feeling blue this Valentine's Day, take heart — you're in good company.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week