It's not always easy to be single on Valentine's Day. All the restaurants are suddenly prix fixe and full of couples, all the candy is suddenly heart-shaped, and all the movie theaters are packed with lame romance movies. (Hi, Safe Haven!)
So for anyone who needs a cinematic reminder that relationships aren't all red roses and boxes of chocolates, check out MovieClips' "Anti-Valentine's Day Mash-up." Though Hollywood has dealt in both romantic comedies and romantic dramas for decades, the film industry has produced an equally rich canon of breakup movies, from Oscar-winning classics like Annie Hall and Kramer vs. Kramer to newer entries like High Fidelity and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So if you're feeling blue this Valentine's Day, take heart — you're in good company.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week