It's not always easy to be single on Valentine's Day. All the restaurants are suddenly prix fixe and full of couples, all the candy is suddenly heart-shaped, and all the movie theaters are packed with lame romance movies. (Hi, Safe Haven!)
So for anyone who needs a cinematic reminder that relationships aren't all red roses and boxes of chocolates, check out MovieClips' "Anti-Valentine's Day Mash-up." Though Hollywood has dealt in both romantic comedies and romantic dramas for decades, the film industry has produced an equally rich canon of breakup movies, from Oscar-winning classics like Annie Hall and Kramer vs. Kramer to newer entries like High Fidelity and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So if you're feeling blue this Valentine's Day, take heart — you're in good company.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week