efore Thursday, the most controversial thing about Oscar Pistorius, the double-leg-amputee Olympic runner, was whether his prosthetic blade legs gave him an unfair advantage over other runners. Now, police in his native South Africa are charging the 26-year-old "Blade Runner" with murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend, 30-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp, in his home in an upscale gated community outside of Pretoria, the capital. Pretoria police haven't released the name of the victim or the suspect, following South African law, but Steenkamp's agent, Sarita Tomlinson, confirmed that the model is dead.
"We are all devastated. Her family is in shock," Tomlinson tells Reuters. Steenkamp and Pistorious, who dated for about a year, "did have a good relationship.... Nobody actually knows what happened."
South African talk radio speculated that perhaps Pistorius shot Steenkamp after mistaking her for a burglar, given South Africa's high crime rate. Brigadier Denise Beukes of the Pretoria police poured cold water on that report, saying she didn't know where those rumors came from. The police had previously responded to complaints of a "domestic nature" at Pistorius' house, she added, without elaborating. (Watch below.)
On Twitter, one of Steenkamp's last tweets apparently anticipated a happy Valentine's Day: "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow???" Pistorius' father, Henke Pistorius, tells South African Broadcasting Corp. that he doesn't know anything, and few other people do, either: "It will be extremely obnoxious and rude to speculate. I don't know the facts. If anyone makes a statement, it will be Oscar. He's sad at the moment."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week