elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: In our Wit & Wisdom column last week, we quoted writer Alain de Botton's observation: "A good half of the art of living is resilience." What is the other half?
THE WINNER: Doing stupid things that require you to be resilient
Donald Plotnick, Raleigh, N.C.
SECOND PLACE: A good lawyer
Cathy McCoy, Kansas City, Mo.
THIRD PLACE: Chocolate
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Stephanie Hull, Pittsburgh
Paul Carroll, Garland, Texas
1/3 social skills and 1/3 math skills
Charlie & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
Brian Clardy, Hudson, N.H.
A tolerance of buffoonery at the highest levels of government
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Keith Hudson, Tucson
Keeping your eye on the bagel, not the hole
Kathy El-Assal, Middleton, Wis.
Patricia Stallone, Bristol, Pa.
Keeping one’s mouth shut
Shlomo and Sarah Elspas, Los Angeles
Paul Knauer, San Jose
Tilting at windmills
Bill Ashforth, Martinsburg, W.Va.
Ron Gardner, Mentor, Ohio
Matthew Steuer, Covington, Ky.
Finding the remote
William Shirk, West Mifflin, Pa.
Thatcher Friese, Los Angeles
Satya Sridhar, Glen Ellyn, Ill.
Lots of Band-Aids
Joan Millard, Toms River, N.J.
Listening to my wife
RB Ziegler, Birdsboro, Pa.
A high-fiber diet
Jesse Silverglate, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
Deleting unread emails
Angela James, Westminster, Md.
Eric Maki, Minneapolis
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week