WATCH LIVE: Asteroid 2012 DA14 as it passes Earth
This afternoon, the 50-meter-wide space rock will be a mere 17,000 miles from our planet
Geoengineers in Scotland want to exploit a well-positioned asteroid to generate a dust cloud that would help block the sun's harmful rays from Earth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week