WATCH LIVE: Asteroid 2012 DA14 as it passes Earth
This afternoon, the 50-meter-wide space rock will be a mere 17,000 miles from our planet
Geoengineers in Scotland want to exploit a well-positioned asteroid to generate a dust cloud that would help block the sun's harmful rays from Earth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
Subscribe to the Week