elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: After complaints from parents, a major fortune-cookie maker is removing racy messages such as, "The evening promises romantic interest." Wonton Food now pledges to create messages that "don’t upset a single person." Please come up with a fortune that meets this tough criterion.
THE WINNER: "All your future is ahead of you."
Timothy Ryder, Waukesha, Wis.
SECOND PLACE: "You are perfect in every way (unless you don't want to be)."
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, Mich.
THIRD PLACE: "You’ll get hungry again in about an hour."
Stephanie Sarich, Minnetonka Minn.
Amy Torchinsky, Greensboro, N.C.
"You will meet someone...somewhere...sometime."
Harriet Jordan, Knoxville
"Today has occurred, thus far."
Jack Tenold, Spokane, Wash.
"You have the ability to read a fortune cookie message."
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
"Inspected by #18."
Alan Guttman, Pikesville, Md.
"He/she who seeks, seeks."
Matt Milligan, Charlottesville, Va.
"Fill in the blanks: You will ____________ many ______________."
Cheryl Old, San Diego
"You will soon finish reading this fortune."
Joe Valetti, San Leandro, Calif.
"If you believe in a deity, may he or she favor your undertakings."
Tim Ryan, Baltimore
"Something may, or may not, happen to you, or someone else, sometime."
Jason Prenoveau, Baltimore
"Thank you for reading this fortune."
Ned Bent, Erie, Pa.
"This space intentionally left blank."
Jill Butler, Passaic, N.J.
"You will meet someone, go somewhere, or do something."
Karyn Olschesky, Dallas
"Share your happiness with others, unless they indicate that they would rather you didn’t."
Judith Cottrill, Bronx, N.Y.
"Your dreams will come true, but only if you want them to, and even then, you can change your mind."
Lori DiGuardi, Media, Pa.
"If you are reading this message, you have successfully opened up a fortune cookie!"
Nan Ye, Milo, Maine
"If at first you don’t succeed, it’s OK."
Douglas Ray, Boca Raton, Fla.
"You will have a _______ day."
Jim Rocco, Venetia, Pa.
"Your future will involve events that happen after this moment."
Kristen Kansiewicz, Lynn, Mass.
"You are special and unique, just like everyone else."
Barbara Harman, Concord, Calif.
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- 10 things you need to know today: May 23, 2013
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee