f you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Science: Cuddling is key to a committed and loving relationship
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The executioners' lament
- 7 gender options
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week