f you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Is it possible to live forever?
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The indignity of canine bath time
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
Subscribe to the Week