f you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week