If you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week