If you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week