If you're reading this article, it means I survived an event I anticipate and dread each year: AMC's Best Picture Marathon, in which every single Best Picture nominee (9 this year!) is screened back-to-back for a captive audience in a single 24-hour block. This year, that meant sobbing my way through Amour before lunchtime, struggling to stay awake as Les Miserables stretched past midnight, and leaving the theater uplifted and exhausted by Beasts of the Southern Wild. (See the full Best Picture Marathon Showcase schedule below.) What were the highlights and lowlights of this year's Best Picture Marathon? Here, read a sample of my live dispatches from the nine-movie showcase — and don't forget to come back for The Week's Academy Awards live blog at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- This Indian meal service is so efficient it's the envy of FedEx
Subscribe to the Week