yria's bloody civil war will hit its two-year mark this March, and still, embattled despot Bashar al-Assad clings to power. The all-consuming war has left more than 70,000 people dead — half of them civilians. Sadly, violent conflict has become the new normal in much of Syria, and it's often only while taking refuge behind Aleppo's crumbled, pock-marked walls that Free Syria Army fighters can indulge in fleeting moments of their previous lives. Have a look:
Free Syria Army fighters play darts near Aleppo's front line on Sept. 26, 2012. (REUTERS/Zain Karam)
A soldier tries to entice a stray cat to come a little closer in Khan al-Assal on Nov. 10, 2012. (REUTERS/Zain Karam)
A rebel plays percussion while resting in an apartment near Al Neirab airport in Aleppo on Feb. 17. (REUTERS/Hamid Khatib)
Rebels pose with their weapons and a snowman in Homs on Jan. 10.(REUTERS/Yazan Homsy)
Soldiers play soccer in Aleppo on Feb. 17. (REUTERS/Hamid Khatib)
A combatant takes a bite of his falafel sandwich in Kafranbel, Idlib province, on Jan. 16. (REUTERS/Giath Taha)
Rebels sit at a battered table in the middle of an Aleppo street on Dec. 24, 2012. (REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah)
A camouflaged fighter pulls from a hookah near the Menagh military airport in Aleppo's countryside on Jan. 25. (REUTERS/Mahmoud Hassano)
Soldiers play a game of ping pong in Homs on Dec. 3, 2012. (REUTERS/Yazan Homsy)
Rebels take a moment to pray on a street in a suburb of Damascus on Jan. 27. (REUTERS/Mohammed Abdullah)
A rebel jokes with a child in the old city of Aleppo on Dec. 27, 2012. (REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah)
A fighter finds a moment to fix himself up a bit in Aleppo on Dec. 25, 2012. (REUTERS/Muzaffar Salman)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Can Paul Ryan's poverty blitz survive contact with reality?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
Subscribe to the Week