Feb. 27, 1951: The 22nd Amendment to the Constitution was ratified, limiting presidents to two terms in office. Passed after the death of President Franklin Roosevelt — who was elected to four terms in office — the amendment says, "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."
Feb. 27, 1972: The Shanghai Communique was issued by President Richard Nixon and Chinese Premier Chou En-lai. The Shanghai Communique came at the end of Nixon's historic trip to China, arguably the most dramatic journey ever made by an American president.
Feb. 27, 1991: President Bush announced the defeat of Iraq, ordering an end to Operation Desert Storm and Gulf War I. Bush said his main strategic goal — pushing Iraq out of Kuwait, which it had invaded the prior August — had been achieved. The U.S. did not occupy Iraq itself in 1991, by the way. Defense Secretary Dick Cheney told Bush it wasn't worth the casualties or "getting bogged down."
Quote of the day
"Nothing brings out the lower traits of human nature like office seeking." –Rutherford B. Hayes
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week