Feb. 28, 1844: During a pleasure cruise along the Potomac River on the USS Princeton, a cannon blew during a demonstration, killing several people, including two members of Tyler's cabinet: Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur and Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer. The daughter of one victim later became Tyler's wife. Julia Gardiner was 34 years younger than the president.
Quote of the day
"Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality." —John Tyler
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week