Feb. 28, 1844: During a pleasure cruise along the Potomac River on the USS Princeton, a cannon blew during a demonstration, killing several people, including two members of Tyler's cabinet: Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur and Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer. The daughter of one victim later became Tyler's wife. Julia Gardiner was 34 years younger than the president.
Quote of the day
"Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality." —John Tyler
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week