Feb. 28, 1844: During a pleasure cruise along the Potomac River on the USS Princeton, a cannon blew during a demonstration, killing several people, including two members of Tyler's cabinet: Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur and Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer. The daughter of one victim later became Tyler's wife. Julia Gardiner was 34 years younger than the president.
Quote of the day
"Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality." —John Tyler
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week