Feb. 28, 1844: During a pleasure cruise along the Potomac River on the USS Princeton, a cannon blew during a demonstration, killing several people, including two members of Tyler's cabinet: Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur and Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer. The daughter of one victim later became Tyler's wife. Julia Gardiner was 34 years younger than the president.
Quote of the day
"Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality." —John Tyler
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week