Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has come out of his shell. He's speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference for the first time, and he's giving interviews that suggest he wants to be a participant in the debate about the future of the Republican Party.
Bush is an ideal Republican presidential candidate. He has a national stature, an enviable record as governor, a solid temperament, and nothing significantly scandalous in his past. He is one of his party's best voices on immigration.
But he is a Bush. That's going to be a problem. It's not going to be an insurmountable problem, but the Republican base is definitely wary of the Bush brand and will not embrace him, no matter how hard he tacks to the right. The American people, of course, have two trillion-dollar wars in their Bush memory bank association. It's not fair to the bro of George W., but it is what it is. Associations matter. If he were to change his name to Jeb Smith, then...
Immigration also works against Bush. He is to the left of even the integrationists in his party. In some ways, his connection to Florida Hispanics is more solid that George W. Bush's connection to Latinos in Texas. Depending on what passes Congress, immigration may still be a pivotal issue for 2016 GOP primary voters.
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- Could the Cleveland kidnapping victims have been rescued sooner?
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- 10 things you need to know today: May 23, 2013
- WATCH: LeBron James' unbelievable, last-second, game-winning shot
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- 6 chilling revelations from the Cleveland kidnapping ordeal
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee