All eyes on Wednesday night were riveted by Sen. Rand Paul, the Republican from Kentucky, as he launched an epic, old-school filibuster to block the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director. Paul is incensed about a new assertion by Attorney General Eric Holder that the president has the right, in extreme situations, to use drones to target American terrorism suspects on U.S. soil. "I will speak for as long as it takes," Paul declared. "I will speak today until the president says, 'no,' he will not kill you at a cafe." Paul's one-man lesson in political theater initially drew some smirks, but he soon received support from a cohort of senators — including Democrat Ron Wyden of Oregon — and has become something of a sensation on social media. By the time this story was published, Paul was in his 10th hour of non-stop speaking, with some help from his fellow senators. Here, some of the best tweets about Paul's epic filibuster:
Rand Paul is raising vitally important issues. Regardless of what party you're in, or if you don't belong to any party, you can't deny that.— Doug Mataconis (@dmataconis) March 7, 2013
Proud to #standwithrand since 2009. GOP, we need more courage like this!— Sarah Palin (@SarahPalinUSA) March 7, 2013
ACLU, CodePink & a Tea Party senator all on the same page. We're an Elizabeth Warren rain dance away from this being SUPER EPIC. #filibuster— SFK (@stephenkruiser) March 6, 2013
Unlike Benghazi Mania, this drone filibuster is actually leading to a productive conversation on foreign policy.— Josh Barro (@jbarro) March 7, 2013
At 9 hours and 18 minutes, Rand Paul's filibuster is now longer than the theatrical version of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy.— Matt Ford (@HemlockMartinis) March 7, 2013
Rooting for Rand Paul to break the filibuster record so we'll have one less reason to bring up Strom Thurmond.— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) March 7, 2013
You just know he's using a catheter. The guy's a doctor.— David Freddoso (@freddoso) March 7, 2013
Rand Paul has a very soothing voice. This filibuster would make for a great bedtime story if it wasn't about flying death machines.— Dan Amira (@DanAmira) March 6, 2013
When comes the part in the filibuster when Rand Paul starts reading tweets about the filibuster?— Josh Greenman (@joshgreenman) March 6, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week