As expected, Facebook announced big changes to the platform Thursday, including a splashy visual overhaul that puts photos front and center. As we've all come to learn, anytime Mark Zuckerberg and Co. change anything, tons of people will hate it. Others will love it. Some will think it's just okay. Let's take a look, shall we?
1. A fresh start
First up, here's what the new Facebook news feed is going to look like. Notice how it's much more visually oriented — kind of like Google+:
2. New feeds
One of the more notable features is a new Feeds system, which lets you organize your news feed based on the kind of content you want to see — including a Photo feed, Music feed, Video feed, and Games. These will self-organize depending on which feeds you use the most.
3. Here's what the Music feed looks like:
4. More consistency
New Facebook was designed to look similar across all your devices. (The new iPad, iPhone, and Android versions are due out soon.) That means less clumsy poking around on tiny little links; more big pictures to tap:
5. Here's how photo albums will be presented:
6. Upcoming events
Do you use Facebook to manage who's coming to what? If so, you'll be happy to know that the oft-ignored events section will get a visual facelift, too:
The same goes for location-based check-ins. Facebook's engineers announced that you'll be able to further investigate an area of interest on a map that your friends frequent. Facebook used Yosemite as a (rather unimpressive) example:
Interested? Get on the waiting list here. Facebook said roll out starts today. If you get it, let us know what you think.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week