A Tea Party group called Patriot Super PAC has launched an attack ad against Bob McDonnell, the Republican governor of Virginia, over his willingness to back tax hikes to fund a new transportation plan in his state. But the ad isn't going up for the benefit of Virginian voters — it's being broadcast in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first contest of the presidential primary season. In what amounts to the starting gun for the 2016 Republican primary, the ad warns Iowans to be wary of McDonnell, who is widely considered to be a possible contender. According to the ad's narrator:
Sometime soon, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell may be in Iowa to test the waters for 2016. But don't be fooled. As a candidate, McDonnell promised Virginians he would never raise taxes. But as governor, McDonnell pushed the largest tax increase in Virginia history...So if Bob McDonnell comes to Iowa, you can't believe a word he says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week