A Tea Party group called Patriot Super PAC has launched an attack ad against Bob McDonnell, the Republican governor of Virginia, over his willingness to back tax hikes to fund a new transportation plan in his state. But the ad isn't going up for the benefit of Virginian voters — it's being broadcast in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first contest of the presidential primary season. In what amounts to the starting gun for the 2016 Republican primary, the ad warns Iowans to be wary of McDonnell, who is widely considered to be a possible contender. According to the ad's narrator:
Sometime soon, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell may be in Iowa to test the waters for 2016. But don't be fooled. As a candidate, McDonnell promised Virginians he would never raise taxes. But as governor, McDonnell pushed the largest tax increase in Virginia history...So if Bob McDonnell comes to Iowa, you can't believe a word he says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week