A Tea Party group called Patriot Super PAC has launched an attack ad against Bob McDonnell, the Republican governor of Virginia, over his willingness to back tax hikes to fund a new transportation plan in his state. But the ad isn't going up for the benefit of Virginian voters — it's being broadcast in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first contest of the presidential primary season. In what amounts to the starting gun for the 2016 Republican primary, the ad warns Iowans to be wary of McDonnell, who is widely considered to be a possible contender. According to the ad's narrator:
Sometime soon, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell may be in Iowa to test the waters for 2016. But don't be fooled. As a candidate, McDonnell promised Virginians he would never raise taxes. But as governor, McDonnell pushed the largest tax increase in Virginia history...So if Bob McDonnell comes to Iowa, you can't believe a word he says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
Subscribe to the Week