A Tea Party group called Patriot Super PAC has launched an attack ad against Bob McDonnell, the Republican governor of Virginia, over his willingness to back tax hikes to fund a new transportation plan in his state. But the ad isn't going up for the benefit of Virginian voters — it's being broadcast in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first contest of the presidential primary season. In what amounts to the starting gun for the 2016 Republican primary, the ad warns Iowans to be wary of McDonnell, who is widely considered to be a possible contender. According to the ad's narrator:
Sometime soon, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell may be in Iowa to test the waters for 2016. But don't be fooled. As a candidate, McDonnell promised Virginians he would never raise taxes. But as governor, McDonnell pushed the largest tax increase in Virginia history...So if Bob McDonnell comes to Iowa, you can't believe a word he says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week