A Tea Party group called Patriot Super PAC has launched an attack ad against Bob McDonnell, the Republican governor of Virginia, over his willingness to back tax hikes to fund a new transportation plan in his state. But the ad isn't going up for the benefit of Virginian voters — it's being broadcast in Iowa, which traditionally holds the first contest of the presidential primary season. In what amounts to the starting gun for the 2016 Republican primary, the ad warns Iowans to be wary of McDonnell, who is widely considered to be a possible contender. According to the ad's narrator:
Sometime soon, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell may be in Iowa to test the waters for 2016. But don't be fooled. As a candidate, McDonnell promised Virginians he would never raise taxes. But as governor, McDonnell pushed the largest tax increase in Virginia history...So if Bob McDonnell comes to Iowa, you can't believe a word he says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week