The Republican National Committee will release a massive, unprecedented “autopsy” of what when wrong for the GOP during the 2012 elections.
The report isn’t out until Monday, but RNC Chairman Reince Priebus hinted at some of the findings and recommendations on CBS’ Face the Nation:
1. Move up the Republican National Convention
Priebus: "I'm calling for a convention in June or July. We're going to set up a commission that's going to make that decision. I'm going to be a part of that. I'm going to chair that commission, but no more August conventions."
2. Dramatically limit the number of Republican primary debates
Priebus: "I would do one a month, this is me talking now. I would do one a month. I would have more say over the moderators, more say over the debate partners. I would limit the debate to a reasonable amount. I don't know, maybe 7 or 8, but not 23... That's ridiculous."
3. Increase outreach efforts to minority voters
Priebus: "If you're not in the community, if you're not talking to people and the level of familiarity isn't there, then things — silly things like Todd Akin and some of the goofy things that are said, the caricature becomes true if you're not there. If you have unscripted moments and no relationship to explain anything, obviously, I believe you're a sitting duck."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week