ore and more, couples are having kids without tying the knot. And many come to regret that decision when the relationship falls apart, says Rose Surnow at the New York Observer. Divorce brings a sense of finality that a simple break-up doesn't, but it also provides a legal, even ritualistic process to deal with money, property, and children. "Unmarried couples are forced to navigate the nebulous world of child custody, alimony, and asset negotiation on their own." An excerpt:
Marriage rates in the United States are at record lows. And when more than half of children born to women under the age of 30 have unwed parents, according to Child Trends, a nonpartisan research center on children and youth issues, more and more couples are finding themselves in such relationship limbo.... And with kids in the picture, breaking up has become that much messier....
No one wants to relive the bitter divorce that his or her parents endured. But here's the fallacy: Keeping your union unofficial in the eyes of the state doesn't make your relationship immune. In fact, according to research from the University of Michigan, unmarried couples with children are far more likely to split than their married counterparts.
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The FBI kills Tamerlan Tsarnaev's friend: 4 things we know [Updated]
- Confessions of a trust-fund baby
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee