On this day. 1933: The Navy's U.S.S. Sequoia became the official presidential yacht. Every POTUS used this floating White House, until President Jimmy Carter sold it to save the government money. The Sequoia, once called "America's equivalent to the Royal Yacht," has a rich and colorful history. Franklin D. Roosevelt and General Dwight Eisenhower used it to plan the D-Day invasion of Europe, Harry Truman hosted poker games on it, Lyndon Johnson watched movies projected onto its white smokestack, and Richard Nixon decided to resign on it. After Nixon made his decision, he played "God Bless America" on the ship's piano. You can read more about the Sequoia here.
Quote of the Day
"Economy is the method by which we prepare today to afford the improvements of tomorrow." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- China's massive pollution problem
- Is it possible to live forever?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- The indignity of canine bath time
Subscribe to the Week