Baby animal alert! At the LEO Zoological Conservation Center in Connecticut last week, a rare newborn Rothschild giraffe stood up for the first time, and zookeepers were lucky enough to catch the first few wobbly steps on camera. Check it out, along with a few other awww-inducing clips of baby animals learning to stand.
1. A baby giraffe
With some gentle coaxing from her mother, the young giraffe is able to prop herself up on all fours (barely) at around the 1:09 mark.
Grade: C+. She lost a few points for needing Mom's help.
2. A newborn fawn
Small wonder this video has more than 1 million views on YouTube. The fawn's a little shaky at first, but manages to maintain its balance and follow Mama around on some pretty ragged-looking terrain. Excellent work, newborn fawn.
Grade: A+. Extra credit for the danger-factor.
3. A baby elephant
He does a pretty good job for a little big guy.
Grade: C. After all, he does step on his own trunk a lot...
4. A baby foal
The action really starts just before the 30 second mark, right before our little cutie pie splays out into some funny yoga poses.
Grade: D. In the end, he never quite gets there. Sorry, pal.
5. A baby zebra
Can zebras tiptoe? Because that's what it looks like this young creature's doing.
Grade: B+. Very impressive! But also kind of unnerving.
6. A newborn goat
The video's creators describe it as "epic sweet." That's kind of overselling it — there isn't even any yelling like humans. LOL at the 1:10 mark, though. And check out Mama Goat's disappointment.
Grade: B. Pretty solid results considering the floor looks slippery.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week