Baby animal alert! At the LEO Zoological Conservation Center in Connecticut last week, a rare newborn Rothschild giraffe stood up for the first time, and zookeepers were lucky enough to catch the first few wobbly steps on camera. Check it out, along with a few other awww-inducing clips of baby animals learning to stand.
1. A baby giraffe
With some gentle coaxing from her mother, the young giraffe is able to prop herself up on all fours (barely) at around the 1:09 mark.
Grade: C+. She lost a few points for needing Mom's help.
2. A newborn fawn
Small wonder this video has more than 1 million views on YouTube. The fawn's a little shaky at first, but manages to maintain its balance and follow Mama around on some pretty ragged-looking terrain. Excellent work, newborn fawn.
Grade: A+. Extra credit for the danger-factor.
3. A baby elephant
He does a pretty good job for a little big guy.
Grade: C. After all, he does step on his own trunk a lot...
4. A baby foal
The action really starts just before the 30 second mark, right before our little cutie pie splays out into some funny yoga poses.
Grade: D. In the end, he never quite gets there. Sorry, pal.
5. A baby zebra
Can zebras tiptoe? Because that's what it looks like this young creature's doing.
Grade: B+. Very impressive! But also kind of unnerving.
6. A newborn goat
The video's creators describe it as "epic sweet." That's kind of overselling it — there isn't even any yelling like humans. LOL at the 1:10 mark, though. And check out Mama Goat's disappointment.
Grade: B. Pretty solid results considering the floor looks slippery.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
Subscribe to the Week