1. Kate Upton isn't going to prom with that kid after all
Last week, the internet collectively awwwwwwwed when supermodel Kate Upton tentatively agreed to go to prom with geeky California teen Jake Davidson, who asked her via YouTube video. But now she's opting out. "I just don't know if I can make it work. But I really appreciated being asked, it made me feel really great!" said Upton at The Hollywood Gossip. Don't feel too bad for Davidson: Now that he's been politely rejected by the gorgeous, seemingly unattainable girl of his dreams, he's had a truly authentic American prom experience.
2. Will Smith turned down Django Unchained because he thought the part wasn't big enough
Early reports indicated that Will Smith would take the title role in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained — a part that eventually went to Jamie Foxx. So why did Smith turn down the job? It's like the old Hollywood saying goes: There are no small parts, just small actors — unless you're Will Smith. "Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!" said Smith in an interview at Entertainment Weekly. Smith adds that he asked Tarantino to rewrite the film's climax to make Django even more of a hero. Tarantino eventually won an Oscar for his script — without implementing Smith's notes.
3. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West will probably give their baby a name that starts with "K"
Last week, it was widely reported that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West were planning to name their unborn child "North West." But alas, life is not a Saturday Night Live sketch after all. According to USA Today, Kardashian recently revealed that the couple will likely follow the Kardashian family's irritating tradition of names that begin with "K." "I think it would be really cute 'cause Kanye and I are both K's," said Kardashian, adding that Kanye "wants something that's unique" — so don't count out a ridiculous pun just yet. (Our money's on "Key West.")
4. Tilda Swinton slept in a glass box at MOMA
Lending further credence to the possibility that she's actually a vampire, actress Tilda Swinton spent all of Saturday sleeping in a glass box at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. CNN reports that the unannounced appearance is part of a decades-spanning performance art piece called "The Maybe" (as in, "maybe we can trick a bunch of people into thinking this is newsworthy"). Unfortunately, Swinton's "performance" lasted for just one day, so anyone who missed it will have to content themselves by tracking down one of the other billions of human beings who sleep on a regular basis.
5. The Backstreet Boys made a Harlem Shake video
While 'N Sync alumni Justin Timberlake was breaking records with The 20/20 Experience last week, erstwhile rivals the Backstreet Boys were coming up with their own way to make headlines. "I know!" said one of them (we're guessing A.J.): "What about one of those Harlem Shake videos that everyone got sick of last month?" BuzzFeed offers video evidence of the group's effort, which includes cameo appearances from the likes of Boba Fett, Spider-Man, and a giant, terrifying rabbit. In the meantime, fans can presumably look forward to the group's next video, in which they try to figure out what this "Macarena" craze is all about.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- 72 years together: The couple who died holding hands
- Yes, Obama and Raul Castro shook hands. No, you shouldn't freak out about it.
Subscribe to the Week