Jim Carrey literally gives the middle finger to gun lovers in a new Funny or Die video, playing the frontman of a country band on Hee-Haw in front of an enraged Charlton Heston (also played by Carrey). The spastic, rubber-faced actor is, as usual, not very subtle. A sample lyric:
With your cold dead aim you're trying to prove your d--k is bigger / but now we know, your chariot may not be swinging low [Funny or Die]
If you thought that gun owners would react negatively to penis-envy jokes and Charlton Heston shooting off his own foot, you would be correct. Gateway Pundit responded by posting a montage of Carrey's most violent movie scenes. Herman Cain points out on Twitter that Carrey's upcoming Kick-Ass 2 is filled with graphic violence:
Red State's John Hayward writes, "The conversation Jim Carrey wants to have — the one where he hides behind his armed bodyguards, rakes in millions by shooting prop guns in motion pictures, and hurls vile insults at everyone who resists a level of personal vulnerability he would never accept — should never even begin, because what he wants to take away from the unwashed masses is not his to take."
But if the actor is upset over all of the criticism, he isn't showing it:
Thx 4 your input 2day.I don't think i've ever felt so despised and so free at the same time. It's been delightfully. ;^}— Jim Carrey (@JimCarrey) March 25, 2013
According to The Huffington Post, he also released a statement saying, "I find the gun problem frustrating and 'Cold Dead Hand' is my fun little way of expressing that frustration." The single, in which Carrey is backed by the real-life members of the band Eels, is now on sale on iTunes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
Subscribe to the Week