Jim Carrey literally gives the middle finger to gun lovers in a new Funny or Die video, playing the frontman of a country band on Hee-Haw in front of an enraged Charlton Heston (also played by Carrey). The spastic, rubber-faced actor is, as usual, not very subtle. A sample lyric:
With your cold dead aim you're trying to prove your d--k is bigger / but now we know, your chariot may not be swinging low [Funny or Die]
If you thought that gun owners would react negatively to penis-envy jokes and Charlton Heston shooting off his own foot, you would be correct. Gateway Pundit responded by posting a montage of Carrey's most violent movie scenes. Herman Cain points out on Twitter that Carrey's upcoming Kick-Ass 2 is filled with graphic violence:
Red State's John Hayward writes, "The conversation Jim Carrey wants to have — the one where he hides behind his armed bodyguards, rakes in millions by shooting prop guns in motion pictures, and hurls vile insults at everyone who resists a level of personal vulnerability he would never accept — should never even begin, because what he wants to take away from the unwashed masses is not his to take."
But if the actor is upset over all of the criticism, he isn't showing it:
Thx 4 your input 2day.I don't think i've ever felt so despised and so free at the same time. It's been delightfully. ;^}— Jim Carrey (@JimCarrey) March 25, 2013
According to The Huffington Post, he also released a statement saying, "I find the gun problem frustrating and 'Cold Dead Hand' is my fun little way of expressing that frustration." The single, in which Carrey is backed by the real-life members of the band Eels, is now on sale on iTunes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be charismatic, according to science
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
Subscribe to the Week