The Supreme Court has released an audio recording and transcript of the oral arguments in the case over the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
It's the second of two landmark cases regarding marriage equality that have come before the court this week. Yesterday, the justices argued the constitutional merits of Proposition 8, a California referendum that banned same-sex marriage.
According to initial accounts, a majority of justices on Wednesday expressed strong skepticism about DOMA's constitutionality.
Listen to audio of the arguments, via BuzzFeed's Soundcloud:
And here is the transcript:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week