The Supreme Court has released an audio recording and transcript of the oral arguments in the case over the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
It's the second of two landmark cases regarding marriage equality that have come before the court this week. Yesterday, the justices argued the constitutional merits of Proposition 8, a California referendum that banned same-sex marriage.
According to initial accounts, a majority of justices on Wednesday expressed strong skepticism about DOMA's constitutionality.
Listen to audio of the arguments, via BuzzFeed's Soundcloud:
And here is the transcript:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week