The Supreme Court has released an audio recording and transcript of the oral arguments in the case over the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
It's the second of two landmark cases regarding marriage equality that have come before the court this week. Yesterday, the justices argued the constitutional merits of Proposition 8, a California referendum that banned same-sex marriage.
According to initial accounts, a majority of justices on Wednesday expressed strong skepticism about DOMA's constitutionality.
Listen to audio of the arguments, via BuzzFeed's Soundcloud:
And here is the transcript:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- How I lost all my money
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week