The Supreme Court has released an audio recording and transcript of the oral arguments in the case over the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
It's the second of two landmark cases regarding marriage equality that have come before the court this week. Yesterday, the justices argued the constitutional merits of Proposition 8, a California referendum that banned same-sex marriage.
According to initial accounts, a majority of justices on Wednesday expressed strong skepticism about DOMA's constitutionality.
Listen to audio of the arguments, via BuzzFeed's Soundcloud:
And here is the transcript:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week