he Supreme Court has released an audio recording and transcript of the oral arguments in the case over the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
It's the second of two landmark cases regarding marriage equality that have come before the court this week. Yesterday, the justices argued the constitutional merits of Proposition 8, a California referendum that banned same-sex marriage.
According to initial accounts, a majority of justices on Wednesday expressed strong skepticism about DOMA's constitutionality.
Listen to audio of the arguments, via BuzzFeed's Soundcloud:
And here is the transcript:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week