The banality of mass destruction: A press release from the United States Air Force announcing that, oh, by the way, nuclear-capable bombers have been sent to the Korean Peninsula as part of an exercise. And why announce this? Well, just because... it's an efficient way to fortify the U.S.'s rhetorical commitment to South Korea and demonstrate resolve to North Korea:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why are there so few female mass murderers?
Subscribe to the Week