The banality of mass destruction: A press release from the United States Air Force announcing that, oh, by the way, nuclear-capable bombers have been sent to the Korean Peninsula as part of an exercise. And why announce this? Well, just because... it's an efficient way to fortify the U.S.'s rhetorical commitment to South Korea and demonstrate resolve to North Korea:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The Pentagon's troubled, expensive new fighter jet
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week