Welcome to "What Next?", The Week's contest about current events.
Last week's question: George Osborne, the British chancellor of the exchequer, recently boosted his popularity enormously by reducing the tax on beer. Other than reducing taxes, what strategic new policy would instantly double any politician's popularity ratings?
THE WINNER: Take a vow of silence
Caryl Gallardo, Kansas City, Mo.
SECOND PLACE: Tax credits for watching sports
Paul Johnsen, Hartford, Wis.
THIRD PLACE: Tell the truth
Scott Barlow, Pequannock, N.J.
Let Texas secede
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Subsidized bags of Cheetos for medical marijuana patients
Brian Michalak, Glen Head, N.Y.
Reduce congressional pay to minimum wage and work for tips. (No tips from lobbyists)
Tony Renner, Las Vegas
Merge C-SPAN with Survivor...politicians kicked off the island weekly
Tony Pribyl, Piedmont, Calif.
All bridges will be built to somewhere!
Dick LaVine, New York City
Announce they will not run for re-election
Douglas R. Johnson, Centennial, Colo.
"Kardashian" becomes the eighth word you can't say on radio/TV
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
If more than 10 percent of a company’s workforce is laid off during a six-month period, the CEO must resign without any severance pay
David Pepper, Malibu, Calif.
All electronics chargers must work on all brands, all models
Ken Radziwanowski, East Windsor, N.J.
Annual politician Hunger Games
Ella Shenhav, Brookline, Mass.
Impose a 100 percent surtax on all campaign contributions
Michael Law, Vernon, Ariz.
Make being a politician illegal
Robert Bajnrauh, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Bill Vogt, Henderson, N.C.
O.C. Brown, Auburn, Ala.
Provide all Americans with their same health-care and pension benefits
Greg Kudrick, Lisbon, Conn.
Make it illegal to grow or sell Brussels sprouts
Beth Simon, Oakland, Calif.
Free health care for pets
Ellen Sholk, Barre, Vt.
Free ice cream every time Vice President Biden makes a gaffe
James N. Rhodes, Columbiana, Ohio
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week