1. Turtle cozies are a thing now
Do you love drinking ice-cold turtles after a hard day at work but hate how they make your fingers freeze? Brrrrrrr. No. Thanks. Fear not, though, for we might finally have a solution. Introducing the most twee thing ever conceptualized: Hand-crocheted cozies for your turtle. (Via Laughing Squid)
2. The NRCC goes OMG!
Recently, the National Republican Congressional Committee published a buzz-worthy post called "13 animals that are bummed about Obamacare." Very buzzy indeed. I wonder where they got the idea from. Cat quite put my finger on it. It's bugging me meow. (Via NRCC.org)
3. Finally! Practical crime-fighting costumes
Short skirts and stilettos are, practically speaking, not the most ideal duds to fight evildoers in. So kudos to artist Michael Lee Lunsford, who took it upon himself to redesign the costumes of some of our favorite female superheroes, with pragmatic new threads for Wonder Woman, Elektra, and Supergirl, pictured here. (via The Mary Sue)
4. Is this Mark Zuckerberg's Angelfire page?
Before all of this silly billionaire stuff, Mark Zuckerberg was apparently a budding teen programmer who, like many 15-year-olds, really liked Eminem — at least according to what looks like his recently unearthed Angelfire page. Here's what the site's "About Me" says:
Hi, my name is… Slim Shady, No, really, my name is Slim Shady. Just kidding, my name is Mark Zuckerberg (for those of you that don't know me) and I live in a small town near the massive city of New York. I am currently 15 years old and I just finished my freshman year in high school. I have remodeled this website in an attempt that perhaps some search engine will recognize it. I am trying to promote my new AOL Program, The Vader Fader, which you can download elsewhere on this site. [Mashable]
5. Tumblr of the Week: ramenbeast.tumblr.com
Warning: Do not look at this if you're hungry. I repeat. Do not look if you are hungry.
6. What dead music icons would look like today
BuzzFeed did its best Newsweek imitation and cobbled together a collection of Photoshops imagining what dead music icons would look like if they were alive today. The "oh no they didn't!"-list includes folks like Aaliyah, Kurt Cobain, and 2pac, pictured here:
7. For sale: Biggie's apartment
Speaking of dead rappers, the late Christopher Wallace's childhood apartment in Bed-Stuy (now Clinton Hill) went on sale this week. According to NY Mag, the renovated three-bedroom is going for a pretty attractive price of $725,000, all things considered. Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis presumably not included. (Via NY Mag)
8. Cat of the Week
Everyone give a polite curtsy to Maggie, the winner of The Most Important Award On the Internet this week. Hey Maggie, there's string on your head. (Thanks, Liz!)
Do you own a cat, dog, or other cuddly animal? Send over a photo to Gayomali@TheWeek.com for a chance to be featured.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week