Legendary movie critic Roger Ebert, who died earlier this week, loved politics as much as the movies and regularly offered up his opinions through Twitter or his blog. Politico highlights some examples of his take on the nation's politics.
As a tribute, The Fix republished a reader-generated list of the best political movies ever. It's a good list, but I think it can be narrowed down to ten.
Here are my 10 favorite political movies:
1. All the King's Men - The rise and fall of a corrupt politician, who makes his friends richer and retains power through populist appeal.
2. The Candidate - A Senate candidate with no hope of winning actually wins.
3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - A newcomer to the U.S. Senate gets a tough lesson in political corruption, but doesn't back down.
4. The War Room - A look inside Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign and the people who ran it.
5. Wag the Dog - A political operative and Hollywood producer join efforts to "fabricate" a war in order to cover-up a presidential sex scandal.
6. Charlie Wilson's War - A drama based on a Texas congressman Charlie Wilson's covert dealings in Afghanistan to help in their war against the Soviet Union.
7. All the President's Men - Two reporters uncover the Watergate scandal which leads to the resignation of President Nixon.
8. Dave - A look-alike acts as president while the real president is in a coma.
9. Bulworth - A suicidally disillusioned liberal politician puts a contract out on himself and takes the opportunity to be bluntly honest with voters.
10. The Manchurian Candidate - A former POW is brainwashed by Communists into becoming a political assassin.
Did I miss one? Let me know your own favorites in the comments.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week