One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is in custody, wounded, and another is on the loose in Watertown, Mass., according to The Boston Globe. The events in Watertown started with the fatal shooting of an MIT police officer in Cambridge, a carjacking followed by a car chase into Watertown (about 4 miles away), then a huge firefight in which the suspects reportedly lobbed explosives at police. This amateur video of the firefight in Watertown was uploaded to YouTube.
Reuters is providing live updates.
UPDATE (4:30 ET): Police say the "dark hat" suspect was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. This is Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis:
One suspect dead. One at large. Armed and dangerous. White hat suspect at large.— Edward Davis (@EdDavis3) April 19, 2013
Here's context for the video above, from CBS News:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week