One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is in custody, wounded, and another is on the loose in Watertown, Mass., according to The Boston Globe. The events in Watertown started with the fatal shooting of an MIT police officer in Cambridge, a carjacking followed by a car chase into Watertown (about 4 miles away), then a huge firefight in which the suspects reportedly lobbed explosives at police. This amateur video of the firefight in Watertown was uploaded to YouTube.
Reuters is providing live updates.
UPDATE (4:30 ET): Police say the "dark hat" suspect was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. This is Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis:
One suspect dead. One at large. Armed and dangerous. White hat suspect at large.— Edward Davis (@EdDavis3) April 19, 2013
Here's context for the video above, from CBS News:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week