One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is in custody, wounded, and another is on the loose in Watertown, Mass., according to The Boston Globe. The events in Watertown started with the fatal shooting of an MIT police officer in Cambridge, a carjacking followed by a car chase into Watertown (about 4 miles away), then a huge firefight in which the suspects reportedly lobbed explosives at police. This amateur video of the firefight in Watertown was uploaded to YouTube.
Reuters is providing live updates.
UPDATE (4:30 ET): Police say the "dark hat" suspect was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. This is Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis:
One suspect dead. One at large. Armed and dangerous. White hat suspect at large.— Edward Davis (@EdDavis3) April 19, 2013
Here's context for the video above, from CBS News:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week