1. Seth MacFarlane has reportedly been asked to host the Oscars again
In news that's sure to delight teenage boys the world over — and alienate everybody else — this year's controversial Oscar host Seth MacFarlane has been asked to return in 2014, presumably because the Academy prefers the show to be hate-watched than not watched at all. Moviefone reports that MacFarlane "has to decide in the next few weeks" whether he wants the utterly thankless job again, for which Justin Timberlake is also reportedly an early favorite. MacFarlane has yet to respond to the reports, perhaps because he's figuring out if there are enough naked women he didn't include in "We Saw Your Boobs" to fill a sequel.
2. Justin Bieber's hologram shows up in new will.i.am video
For anyone else who feels that one Justin Bieber just isn't enough, will.i.am has bequeathed a gift unto the world: A Justin Bieber hologram. According to MTV News, a hologram of the pop star makes a guest appearance in the music video for will.i.am's new single "#thatPOWER," because apparently hashtags can be song titles now.
3. Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are in Norway at the same time
But will.i.am only needed Holo-Biebs because the actual Biebs is busy performing a series of concerts in Norway. And according to E! Online, he might not be there alone. The website says that Bieber ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez was spotted getting off a plane in Oslo on Thursday night as Bieber performed, leading to widespread (and entirely speculative) reports that the two pop stars were planning a secret rendezvous. E! Online adds that Gomez has "no official business in Norway," throwing a little more fuel on the tabloid fire — though it remains possible she just really, really had a craving for authentic lutefisk.
4. You can ignore M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth a whole week earlier now
In an eleventh-hour twist worthy of one of his own movies, M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth — one of the 37-odd post-apocalyptic blockbusters hitting theaters this summer — has had its release date moved forward. According to The Wrap, After Earth will now hit theaters on May 31, a full week earlier than its originally scheduled release date. "We love the date," said Sony Pictures in a statement, because that's a much more positive-sounding statement than, "We want to stay as far away as possible from Man of Steel."
5. You can hang out with wax One Direction
Sorry, tweens: You'll probably never get to hang out with One Direction. But thanks to Madame Tussauds, you can now do the next best thing: Hang out with waxy, disturbingly realistic dolls designed to resemble One Direction! According to Vulture, the wax dolls were unveiled on Friday, and quickly "had their durability tested by gratuitous groping" at the hands of a bunch of teenage girls, who presumably hoped that the boys would somehow spring to life like Kim Cattrall in Mannequin. Anyone who cares to see a bunch of teenagers fawning over wax dummies — except for poor, overlooked Louis — can do so at Vulture.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week