It's 10 p.m. on a Friday night. Your stomach emits a low rumble, but you're elbow-deep in Bioshock Infinite and you'd rather not leave the warm imprint you've carved out on the couch. Your Seamless-equipped iPhone is charging in another room. Too far. The fridge? Good luck whipping something up with Sriracha and baking soda. You wonder: If only there were a way to order pizza through my TV. Behold:
The official Pizza Hut app for Xbox Live. The international gatekeeper of weird pies is partnering with Microsoft's Xbox team to develop a first-of-its kind app that lets you customize a pizza onscreen using the 360's controller, Kinect motions, or voice commands. Your cheesy design gets delivered to your doorstep soon thereafter.
"We're always looking at ways to give our audience more of what they're interested in," he said. "If you look at our audience, they love pizza. I mean, who doesn't? It has international appeal, and Pizza Hut is a recognized brand that matches up well with the Xbox brand." [Polygon]
Imagine: A Jedi-like wave of your hand. Pepperoni. No wait. Another wave. Sausage. Or, perhaps you'd rather bark a throaty voice command: Breadsticks. The official Pizza Hut app will go live April 23, and Xbox users will get 15 percent off their first purchase through May 6.
The future is here, folks. And it's glorious.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week