It's 10 p.m. on a Friday night. Your stomach emits a low rumble, but you're elbow-deep in Bioshock Infinite and you'd rather not leave the warm imprint you've carved out on the couch. Your Seamless-equipped iPhone is charging in another room. Too far. The fridge? Good luck whipping something up with Sriracha and baking soda. You wonder: If only there were a way to order pizza through my TV. Behold:
The official Pizza Hut app for Xbox Live. The international gatekeeper of weird pies is partnering with Microsoft's Xbox team to develop a first-of-its kind app that lets you customize a pizza onscreen using the 360's controller, Kinect motions, or voice commands. Your cheesy design gets delivered to your doorstep soon thereafter.
"We're always looking at ways to give our audience more of what they're interested in," he said. "If you look at our audience, they love pizza. I mean, who doesn't? It has international appeal, and Pizza Hut is a recognized brand that matches up well with the Xbox brand." [Polygon]
Imagine: A Jedi-like wave of your hand. Pepperoni. No wait. Another wave. Sausage. Or, perhaps you'd rather bark a throaty voice command: Breadsticks. The official Pizza Hut app will go live April 23, and Xbox users will get 15 percent off their first purchase through May 6.
The future is here, folks. And it's glorious.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week