Say cheese! A new photo app called Pixtr is coming soon to iPhone and Android, and promises to give imperfect ol' you a digital facelift by airbrushing out the ugly. Greasy pimples? Zapped! Wish your face had softer curves? The app does that, too. It's Photoshop without the hassle. You get the cover-star treatment while (hopefully) leaving all of your limbs intact.
Pixtr is the brainchild of Israeli entrepreneur Aviv Gadot, who came up with the idea when his wife wouldn't let him upload any of his photo snaps to Facebook. "My wife was always grabbing my phone and deleting most of my pictures," he told Business Insider. "She's beautiful and she feels bad about how she looks in photos. That's wrong. I wanted her to feel good about herself."
The app uses facial recognition technology to automatically make image adjustments, including but not limited to "slimming a nose or a jawline, trimming eyebrows, [and] correcting camera distortion." While Pixtr will be free to download, it'll cost you $1 to correct a "batch" of photos (how many photos are in a batch remains unclear).
So: What do you think? Would you use it? Or does its merely tap into the ugly nether regions of our insecurities and narcissism? While I can see it becoming a hit with the OK Cupid crowd, to be completely honest, I'm a little worried about the coming glut of smudgy-cheek selfies. (Via Business Insider)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week