1. Swedish police raid Justin Bieber's tour bus for marijuana
In news that's sure to shock anyone who hasn't been to a gossip website over the past two years, beleaguered pop star Justin Bieber is in trouble yet again. According to MTV News, marijuana was discovered on Justin Bieber's tour bus during a raid in Sweden on Wednesday, which began when a Stockholm police officer "detected the telltale smell of marijuana" coming from the Biebmobile. Though a spokesman for Bieber declined to comment, the Biebs himself tweeted "some of the rumors about me…where do people even get this stuff" — somehow failing to realize that the answer this time is "an official police source."
2. Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt might star in a remake of Guys and Dolls
Now that Hollywood has remade pretty much everything else, 20th Century Fox has turned to one of the few genres left untapped by the studio machine: Mid-50s gangster musicals. According to Deadline, the studio is developing a remake of the Marlon Brando/Frank Sinatra vehicle Guys and Dolls, with Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt named as early favorites to star. If the two stars do sign on to the project, fans of the musical can presumably expect 100 percent more male stripping and time travel.
3. Proposed Wild Things sequel somehow even more tasteless than the original
If you remember 1998's trashy thriller Wild Things at all, you probably recall it as "that movie in which Neve Campbell and Denise Richards make out in a swimming pool." But in an interview with Hollywood.com, director Joe McNaughton revealed that he'd finally come up with a premise that surpasses the tastelessness of the original: A story based on a real-life murder trial! "Do you know the Amanda Knox case? It's something like that," says McNaughton, adding that the plotline would involve both the children of the original film's main characters and an alleged rape. If produced, McNaughton tentatively plans to call the film Wild Child Things, because the film's core premise wasn't already gross enough.
4. Joss Whedon hints at more superheroes that could show up in The Avengers 2
While superhero fans have been distracted by the impending release of next week's Iron Man 3, director Joss Whedon has quietly been working on the follow-up to his own absurdly expensive superhero blockbuster. And according to The Wrap, he's somehow found a way to shoehorn even more superheroes into The Avengers 2. "I've got these two characters, two of my favorite characters from the comic books. A brother-sister act. They're in the movie," said Whedon in an interview. The Internet being the Internet, comic book fans have already identified comic-book twins Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as the most likely to be included — though we're still holding out hope that Whedon plans to introduce Jack and Jill, who were both played by Adam Sandler in the 2011 movie of the same name, into the Marvel universe.
5. Zach Braff's Garden State follow-up already has more than $1.5 million in donations
Congratulations, Internet: In just 24 hours, you bought three-quarters of a Zach Braff movie. In the single day since Zach Braff took to Kickstarter — asking fans to donate $2 million to his next vanity project in exchange for T-shirts and autographed DVDs — the Scrubs star has already earned $1.5 million, and the number is climbing higher all the time. According to the BBC, the planned film, titled Wish I Was Here, will star Braff "as a struggling actor who has to home-school his children" — an actor struggling so much, apparently, that he needs to ask strangers to donate the funding for his next film.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Summer movie guide: All the films you should see in August
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week